Private Email Server Administrator

GloNo - 21 Reasons for Jay Bennett to Rejoin Wilco

Postby Hap » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:21 pm

"To pee in one's shoe is a short respite" - Kizmiaz

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Re: GloNo - 21 Reasons for Jay Bennett to Rejoin Wilco

Postby Beldo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:30 pm

Agree with a lot of those but, how do his dreads balance out Tweedy's honkyness? Is there anything MORE white than a pale fat white dude with dreads?
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

nacho
Chestnut Mare

Postby nacho » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:38 pm

goddamn i miss the Being There through YHF years. :(

HighPlainsDrifter
Personal Server

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks, freak.

This was interesting -
7. Kingpin - "Serious" Wilco fans got annoyed by Bennett hamming it up in the live setting, but this was always fun. It's only rock and roll, for Christ's sake. Let 'er rip!

I agree, but the accompanying Youtube clip (some outdoor festival, looked like ca. 1996/97) doesn't really prove the point of Bennett as 'ham' too well. I'm not against artistic/musical progression in any way, shape or form, but I prefer the Bennett version of the band. Who doesn't like their live acts rocking out and getting into it? What kind of 'serious' Wilco fan was annoyed at Bennett's lead guitar-dude moves? I've never met him/her, but I'd like to speak with them :D I wasn't around for that era of Wilco, and all I have to go by is I Am Trying to Break Your Heart and other Youtube vids of that era that are floating around, but maybe compared to the rest of the band (subdued, focused) his energetic playing and all might have been a little distracting/show-stealing. Kind of reminds of that Bennett/Tweedy exchange from the movie, something like
"Dude, could you beef up your tone a little bit?"
"Oh, yeah. You know...I wonder if the twin guitar thing might be a little...obsolete?"
Then Bennett laughs and is like "Are you kidding?" Then says something about making his tone "fuckin' rockin'" and Tweedy kind of shuffles off, biting his tongue and leaving something unsaid to avoid confrontation. Another of those conflict moments from the movie that foreshadows Bennett getting shitcanned. But to me it sort of sums up the wild/rocking side (live at least) vs. the sleepy, politely-rocking, dad-rock direction Tweedy has moved the band in...not that they still aren't making quality music and some good songs, and are (still) a powerhouse live act. I caught the Nels Cline et al. version of Wilco here in town in October '04, just before the election so you can imagine the energy and sloganeering and all, and they were great. Cline has all the guitar talent you could ask for, can shred and I'm sure can play pretty much anything - and he isn't 'the problem' with Wilco now, nor are the other FNGs - but to me he sort of personifies the direction they've gone in and I feel they've lost something. At least now that Tweedy is The Center of Teh Circle and surrounded by, I hate to say it, yes-men. Out of some kind of inner conflict, a little disharmony/polarity within a group often comes the best music/art I think, and while it's obvious that the newest incarnation of Wilco is working nicely and is creative and harmonious and is all rainbows and puppies, I think this is showing in the music in a bit of a negative way. But then it still comes down to the subjectivity of taste, I'll prefer a Being There or YHF while someone else (not necessarily a newer, bandwagonesque fan but likely) will prefer A Ghost Is Born or Sky Blue Sky, so if you don't know or care about the band's history (or weren't there from the beginning, like me), it's all much ado about nothing and it should be easy to find something in their catalogue to like. But back to Cline, and this goes hand in hand with that extreme band harmony making their music tame bit, there's this studied, kind of sterile clinical thing he brings overall - style, tone, stage presence, personality - that doesn't quite work for me when I think of what Wilco is. A serious, detached/reserved jazz fusion kind of attitude - appreciate from a distance! - compared to the sort of organic, loose, technically accomplished but not studied, rock/country/folk based approach that the band had when Bennett was with them, and that he personified himself.

Okay, done belaboring my points...for now.
-Sam

Macho
Canada is a Cold and Boring Place to Flee to

Postby Macho » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Good thoughts there, HPD. Well said. I particularly like the fact you used FNGs in a sentence. Reminds me of my old football days with an overly abusive coach that used that term all the time. He eventually ended up on the front page of the Washington Post and banned from coaching anywhere in the DC area after being busted for falsifying kids' birth certificates to skirt the whole age/weight rules in the league. But I digress.

Maybe I should read this Jay Bennett thing now...

-Stringer
http://www.travelbyseamusic.com
"Come on me bros" -Blaze

HighPlainsDrifter
Personal Server

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks Tom. FNGs is a favorite of mine :lol: Works really well when used in some way with back in 'Nam (translation: back in the day), another one I like.
-Sam

Rockstar Aimz
Short-Fingered Vulgarian

Postby Rockstar Aimz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:58 pm

Great post HPD! My thoughts exactly.

This is my favorite reason:

14. We like to get drunk - When Jay Bennett was in the band we got crazy drunk at your shows. Now they are in fancy theaters with limits on alcohol sales and stupid prices.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:37 pm

I'm a big time Tweedy apologist and think the past two albums are great but...they don't reach the greatness of Being There for sure. I would not be upset if Bennett came back into the fold, but it ain't gonna happen. I do think there's something to the argument that Tweedy is making Wilco into the band he wants them to be, rather than the band they are naturally (if that makes any sense).
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

DADDY
Interested Attorney

Postby DADDY » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:39 pm

Nice postin HPD! I agree with quite a bit. I have seen both versions of Wilco and I prefer the newer (more rocking) version. While Jay may have been having a ball in the old Wilco . . . Tweedy was not. I saw them tour behind "Summerteeth" in a small club setting . . . Tweedy barely spoke and seemed quiet and annoyed for the most part but still came alive at all the right parts. Saw them again touring behind "Mermaids II" in a small venue . . . pretty good, but really subdued. Next saw them tour behind YHF propper in a moderately sized venue. This show was pretty good and you could see quite a difference in Mr. Tweedy. The drumming, (even though I enjoyed Kenny Koomer) was far superior and the overall sound and mood of the band was noticibly improved. I saw them recently touring behind the Sky Blue Sky LP and was completely blown away. Tweedy has become engaging and a fantastic presence in his band. The band was in top form and was loosey goosey and rocked harder and better than they ever did in the old days. All that said . . . I too miss the Wilcos of old. There albums have become . . . well . . . less stellar as the band (the live act anyways) has just gotten better and better.

HighPlainsDrifter
Personal Server

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:12 pm

Beldo wrote:I'm a big time Tweedy apologist and think the past two albums are great but...they don't reach the greatness of Being There for sure. I would not be upset if Bennett came back into the fold, but it ain't gonna happen. I do think there's something to the argument that Tweedy is making Wilco into the band he wants them to be, rather than the band they are naturally (if that makes any sense).

Complete sense. I agree. Good stuff from Daddy too.
-Sam

melt
Frackin' Hillary

Postby melt » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:03 pm

I dunno DADDY, I saw Wilco during the Being There tour, and Jeff was having a blast. He wore a cowboy hat, was yucking it up the whole time, and even went into the crowd to sing most of "Misunderstood." I thought overall they were a lot more fun in those days, and of course the records were way better.

I've seen them pre-Jay (very first show they ever played in Dallas during the A.M. tour) and post-Jay (though admittedly before the last couple of albums came out), and I didn't enjoy myself quite as much. I guess they're a more well-oiled machine now, but I miss Bennett-era Wilco as well. That was their peak as far as I'm concerned.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:24 pm

If there's one thing about Wilco, it's that it's rarely the same experience twice. I've seen them I think three times, and each time couldn't have been more different. Two times were more ramshackle and rockin', with a really loose setlist that was, oddly enough, built up around Mermaid Avenue and Being There songs (this was like 2006), and then I saw them not even a year later and you would have thought they were in the studio they were so tight. Almost TOO tight for my tastes, and the setlist was more or less of the greatest hits variety, with nothing earlier than Summerteeth. I'm not sure what I'm saying except that I'd guess the band dynamics and style seem to change with every tour, and maybe even with every date.

El Santo
Chestnut Mare

Postby El Santo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:50 pm

I'm a moderate fan of Jay Bennetts solo work...and a moderate fan of Wilco after YHF. When you have the two together...it seems to give the best results. That's my thoughts on it anyway.

That said...I should probably note that the only Wilco albums that I really...really love are "Summerteeth" and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot". I actually feel like "Being There" is extremely overrated. :bitenails: :bitenails:
"If anything, I don't think Trump is taking it far enough" - noodle

DADDY
Interested Attorney

Postby DADDY » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:03 am

melt wrote:I dunno DADDY, I saw Wilco during the Being There tour, and Jeff was having a blast. He wore a cowboy hat, was yucking it up the whole time, and even went into the crowd to sing most of "Misunderstood."

I don't doubt for a minute they had great shows back then buddy, I mean they had a fucking GREAT album to tour behind and Jeff was probably still drinking. I believe he really liked having Jay in the band (at the time) and really loved the guy (at the time). Things change, people change, circles need centers etc. I'm just saying as a dude who saw them four times and watched the film IATTBYH, to me, they seem to have improved as a live act. Of course their are a multitude of other factors including Jeff's health, drug use, vocal abillities etc. I still agree that they were a better band (recording wise) with Jay. His contribution to the band cannot be denied.

melt wrote: That was their peak as far as I'm concerned.

I hope for your sake that the new one sucks major buddie or your theory is blown. :wink:

mookie
Chestnut Mare

Postby mookie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:44 am

Sky Blue Sky is their masterpiece so far, IMO, so who needs Jay. I still like the older albums, but some of it seems a little immature and dated when I revisit. Yet some of it is still genius also. I can easily see why Jeff got annoyed with Jay too. If he's anything like he seemed in the documentary, it would wear me out too. All that stoned rambling and over analyzing got old quick. Can't imagine dealing with that on a day to day basis. Especially in a studio and on tour.
"She ripped through this heart of mine like a Weed Eater with brand new line." - Brian Henneman

Return to “Unknown Legends”