2009 Gambler Results

Albums, Songs and New Releases
Gas OJ
Blood Coming Out of Her Wherever

2009 Gambler Results

Postby Gas OJ » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:44 pm

Every year is a great year for music, especially when we have such a passionate music loving group here at ACT.

Thanking each and everyone of you who participated in this annual ritual. Comments will follow with proper html pages.

Never saw a woman look finer
I used to order just to watch her float across the floor - Neil Young

RMR
I Sprained My ACLU

Re: 2009 Gambler Results

Postby RMR » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Can't believe no one has commented on this yet, so I will.

Good work Jules :clap: and thanks

I think it's a pretty good top 10, but I did say if wilco made the top 10 I would leave the site :shifty:

Au Revoir
whom the gods wish to destroy, first they drive insane - Ray Wylie Hubbard

FridayNightHasKilledMe
Shooter Jennings

Postby FridayNightHasKilledMe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:53 pm

I had a funny feeling that MEC might win this year (oddly enough, I had this feeling as soon as I bought the record at the MEC show I attended back in July). Pretty close between Josephine and Son Volt though. Actually I'm surprised Neko didn't win.

Glad to see Wilco's stranglehold on the #1 finally broken. It seems whenever they have a new record, they win.

A

Rockstar Aimz
Short-Fingered Vulgarian

Postby Rockstar Aimz » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Wow! You got that done fast! You rule!
http://myaimzistrue.blogspot.com/

To believe in this living is just a hard way to go.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Jules -- did we have a lot fewer "non posters" (not sure how else to say it--people are registered but don't post on the reg) this year? That always seemed to skew rankings in the past.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

Gas OJ
Blood Coming Out of Her Wherever

Postby Gas OJ » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:19 pm

We had 59 ACTers participate this year. Slightly fewer than last year (I think we might have had 68 - would need to check).

Votes by username (alphabetical order).

Never saw a woman look finer
I used to order just to watch her float across the floor - Neil Young

mookie
Chestnut Mare

Postby mookie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Nice to see Jason Isbell & 400 unit get some love. That one had some staying power for me. Surprised though, since I don't recall too many people gushing over it. Never imagined it would make the top 10.

Also nice to see Loon Rider knows what the best album of the year was.

Great and speedy work there, Jules!! Nice job, buddy!
"She ripped through this heart of mine like a Weed Eater with brand new line." - Brian Henneman

RavingLunatic
Seriously, what is a Caucus?

Postby RavingLunatic » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:59 am

Thanks for posting the individual lists, OJ. It's always much more interesting to look at them than it is at the overall list. A few I feel I need to hear after looking at some lists similar to mine:

Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
Jim O'Rourke - The Visitor
The Pines - Tremolo

Screechykid
Gilmomentum

Postby Screechykid » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:08 am

Quick work there OJ, thanks for making this happen once again!

I'm surprised but happy to see MEC take the top spot...I thought for sure it would be Sun Volt or Neko.

I need to check out this Carolyn Mark/NQ Arbuckle record, I wish I had done that before voting. Nice to see Tom Russell, both Tillman records, and Farrar/Gibbard (which stupidly I forgot to include in my top 10!!) in the top 20. A pretty eclectic list this year.
LIK DIS IF U CRY EVRYTIM

Screechykid
Gilmomentum

Postby Screechykid » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:10 am

Also, it's a testament to this place's true passion for a variety of music to see that about 60 people came up with almost 200 different albums they consider to be the 10 best of the year. Pretty cool.
LIK DIS IF U CRY EVRYTIM

RavingLunatic

Postby RavingLunatic » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:51 pm

I was very happily surprised to see Grand Salvo's excellent Soil Creatures get votes from 3legcat and Wellstone in addition to Jesse and me. Such a great album. I've moved it up a spot since I turned in my list.

RavingLunatic

Postby RavingLunatic » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:12 pm

Phosphorescent's To Willie is one that I never gave any listens but feel like I should. That's the highest ranking album that's not by one of the classic ACT favorites, which I think means something. I could've told you last year, before any of the albums had even leaked, that if Magnolia Electric Co, Son Volt, Neko Case, Richmond Fontaine, Wilco, Drive-by Truckers, Jason Isbell, and Ben Nichols came out with albums in 2009, they would almost be guaranteed to be in the top 10. This isn't a criticism as this is simply how consensus lists inevitably work. I just don't think that you can gain any real information about those albums based on their Gambler rankings. Something like Phosphorescent getting placed that high, however, means something. I've never really given Phosphorescent a fair chance either. I listened once to his debut, and I think because it sounded so much like Will Oldham, who I dislike, I dismissed him. Man, I've got so many 2009 albums I need to catch up on now that these lists have come out. That's why I love the listmania so much.

Jeeves Van Zandt
ACT ADDICT

Postby Jeeves Van Zandt » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:47 pm

Interesting to see that I'm in the majority thinking the Molina/Johnson duo was disappointing. Two of my favorite songwriters in a record, and somehow it fell kinda flat.

Also, now I need to check out that A.A. Bondy fella. When someone you never heard of cracks the #11 spot, it means something.
I'd hit that so hard...if you pulled me out you'd become the King of England. - JesseAaron

TravelbySea
Petty's Pimp

Postby TravelbySea » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:15 am

only 2 people picked MECO #1.

Lord Summerisle
Rhymes With Reba McEntire

Postby Lord Summerisle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:46 pm

TravelbySea wrote:only 2 people picked MECO #1.

Isn't that often the way? The very nature of it appearing even very low on a lot of lists will put it further up the list. I suppose you could argue that this does not make it the best album of the year but it does mean it is the most popular amongst ACTers. I would imagine that this is the case with most end of year lists that are voted for?

Return to “Beneath This Gruff Exterior”